Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Living on the Edge

I had to make a trip to the nearest "big city" today. Seems my husband needed to do some Christmas shopping for some of his staff, which I was entirely in support of. Since their break starts tomorrow and tomorrow night is the last staff Christmas dinner, today was the deadline for my practiced, bargain-hunting eye. (Not quite cheap, but very frugal!) It's about a 30 mile drive, one way, and I thought I had plenty of gas....Do you see where this is headed? Well you're wrong! I did NOT run out of gas. Good thing too, because this particular stretch of interstate is lonesome, speedy, and at the time covered with dense, freezing fog. Stupid on my part, I know.

I think it was a very good thing that before we left, I had my son pray after me for protection for the drive. (I knew it was cold and we had very sparse, dry snow here.) Our highly teched-out van has a little "Distance to Empty" gauge. Ours read "0" for 19 miles until I made it to a gas station. That's about what we get as our mpg. That was the return trip, by the way. I didn't notice our predicament until I was on the long, bare stretch of interstate. Lesson learned. And before any male readers get any bight ideas, ask my husband how we came to own 8 gasoline containers!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger MacNana said...

I am so sorry to hear that you possess one of my most irritating (to my husband) traits. What is the deal with that gas gauge - how can it reach empty and stay there without being noticed? I just don't understand it. But whenever Will is in my car and we hear the low gas warning "ping ping ping", Will says, "It's playing your song!" But isn't that adrenaline rush of wondering if you'll make it safely to the gas station once again just thrilling?

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home