Friday, December 30, 2005

A very special Christmas Gift

We finally made it back from our adventure to the valley. We had a great time with family and friends, and received many gifts and blessings from our loved ones. There is one of note that I would like to share. My cousin, Lance-Corporal Tyler Troyer was killed in Iraq on November 19th of this year. His mother had just received a box of his belongings, and I was given some of the motomails that I had sent him and an envelope addressed to me (us) but it had been opened, and was empty. Long story short, yesterday I was given what was assumed to be the letter meant to be in that envelope. I wonder if he maybe was also referring to some things my dad had sent him....I know dad mentioned how sorry he/we were at the loss of his friends as well. Maybe it was reopened to add a future note that was never written? We can all think what we'd like, right?

I cannot thank Terri & Michael enough for giving it to me...there really isn't any indication that it was written to me, other than it was apparently an extra and there was the empty ennvelope addressed to me. Anyway, I cherish it and am very protective of it....children have to wash their hands before touching it. :) I will do as Aunt LeAnn did, and type as written.

The letter is dated Oct 30, 05


Hi everybody,

I am sorry that I didn't write sooner. things around here have been really busy. We really don't get much time to ourselves. But I finally found some time to write.
Well I don't know what to write about. I bet you already know a lot. When we first got here it was about 130 (degrees) durring the day and a cool 110 (degrees) at night. Now its about 100 (degrees) durring the day and a cold 60-70(degrees) at night. The lifestyle of the people here is very different than ours. There are no police or driving laws. Very few people have running water. They take a bath in a river, that is very dirty, once a week. They hate dogs. Trash is everywhere. They dont have indoor bathrooms. They go to the bathroom in a hole outside, no poty to sit on. They dont use TP after they go to the bathroom they use water and there left hand. yeah gross! 95% are muslum and pray 5 times a day. There is a lot more but that would take to long to talk about.
Not too much is going on here. Just the same old stuff you hear on the news. As you have already heard I lost 4 friends in a road side bomb. There families are doing good and so is my platoon. We are working hard and doing our job. But thing are ok. I'm tired, hungry and I havent showered in 2 weeks. I cant wait to get home. But I have to go now theres work to do. I thank everyone for your prayers they really do help and its great to know you all care. I love you guys
Love,
(signed in Arabic...Tyler)

3 Comments:

Blogger MacNana said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely back. Thanks for sharing the letter, I'm really glad you got it. Give your kids a hug for me.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a neat letter, thanks for sharing.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the letter! Victor was talking about "cousin Tyler" this morning, and looking at pictures from when I was down there. He saw a picture of Terri and Michael's house, and said, "thats where Tyler USED to live, but now he's REALLY excited because he gets to live with God!"
~Jewel

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home