Saturday, August 18, 2007

When's the last time you did something for the first time?

I am currently in a hotel in Bellevue, WA (near Seattle) on the eve of the first triathlon I have ever done. Actually of any race, except for high school track which I did one season and HATED. We all start tomorrow at 0600 in the lobby to leave for Qwest Stadium, to catch shuttles from there.....
Here is Qwest Stadium, apparently home of the Sea Hawks. This was our caravan of 3 cars, all with 1-2 bikes in tow to register and get our race stuff and numbers, so we could then travel to rack our bikes for tomorrows race. No accident occurred after this photo was taken.
This is our group of racers, myself, Mel and Jody, Mom and Heather, our adopted sister for this event. :) This is in front of Lake Washington, where our swim starts. In the background is Mercer Island, where we bike to via the I-90 bridge, apparently. Holy cow, I'm giving myself the shakes just doing this. We swim first, then go onto the bike leg...604 meter swim (200 shy of 1/2 mile), then a 12.5 mile bike...

This is just a small (very small) portion of the bikes of the estimated 4500 participants. Here you can see the swim area and part of the bridge we will bike across. We swim, "hurry" to our bikes where we "transition" out of swim cap and goggles, don shoes and socks, helmet, etc. and off we go, running our bike to the road. We then return to this spot and take off on a 3.1 mile run (?) to complete the race.
Here we are, with our numbers marked on us, in all of our nervous glory. They are purely for body ID should we drown on the swim. :) Kidding! Anyway....more later, time to try to get some sleep and make sure I am all packed accordingly for fast transitions! We are to arrive at 0645 to set up our transition area by our already-racked bike, then get in our swim area and begin our "wave" of participants at approx 0750. Chances are, by the time you see this, it will already be a thing of the past and I'll never do a triathlon for the FIRST time again! My motto: Slow and steady may not win any race, but it will finish it!!



1 Comments:

Blogger MacNana said...

You all have my utmost respect! I heard about it from your mom tonight. Congratulations on a job well done!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home