Friday, January 06, 2006

Business Lesson

Poor Tavin...she had to learn another lesson today. Unfortunately for her, her parents are apparently smarter than she thought yesterday. At least she learned it at a bank and not at the checkout counter at Walmart! I'd better back up and explain.

Tavin's teacher was giving kids $1 million bills. Tavin was SURE they were real. Her father and I both told her it wasn't real.....didn't work. Then I tried reason. If her teacher had millions of dollars (this was past the discussion of if such bills even existed) why would she be working? Answer: She's retiring. Which is actually true. Ok...I finally convinced her father that it would be MEAN to let her go to Walmart and get whatever she wanted in a cart and try to pay for it with the bill. Plus there was something slightly illegal about the sound of that. I convinced him to take her to a bank and have her validate the money with a teller.

So, this morning, Tavin was telling me what she was going to get. Went something like this:

"I'm going to get you an MP3 player, socks (?), clothes, furniture..."etc. Then she moved on to Simon. "I'll get him some Hotwheels." Daddy was next. "A musical tie...." (What?) She didn't even bother to list the massive thoughts she had on what to get herself. What I found VERY amusing was that she had no plans to leave Walmart. What a limited, sheltered life she must lead. :) So, Kevin took her to the bank today. They managed to get in the line of a "first day at work" teller. Tavin lost her nerve, so Kevin had to present the question and show the bill. When the answer was received (not too well by the evidence of a shredded, phony-baloney million-dollar bill) Tavin decided she would tell her teacher to stop teasing her, as the teller advised.

I have to say, I am surprised that it went that far. Not only did Tavin BELIEVE the thing was real, she did NOT believe us. Of course, this is the same child that wrote a letter to Santa (that I only heard about) saying something like..."Please get us presents, we are very poor....". Oh BROTHER.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is something...she is so fond of her money too. i could just picture her counting 1 million and one, 1 million and two...

(aunt)K :)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say, she does remind me of some one else. As I recall, I had a certain someone write her middle name, correctly I might add, on both sides of notebook paper because she thought it was spelled another way. Do you wonder where she gets it?
maamaw

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home