Friday, January 20, 2006

Party Prep

Tavin went to a friends' birthday party today from 4-7. They are a family we know, and actually moved here just a couple of months after we did, from our same town! I was with her in Walmart, buying some party items for her "get-together" on Sunday, and she was telling me how it went. I will just try sort of re-tell....you have to read this as if it is one giant run on sentence and rapidly...just as Tavin would speak it. :) Here goes:

"WehadpizzaandpopIhad4cupsofPepsiand2piecesofpizzaandIsaidIwantedmorebut
shemustnot haveheardmebecauseshedidn'tgivememore...."

Now, I know that must be hard to read because it is REALLY hard to type without using the space bar. So now that you get the idea (and the why) I'll type normally. :)

"We were listening to the Superchick CD I gave her and dancing to it (Note: Anyone been around 9 year old girls hyped up on sugar and music?) and I was doing this thing where I put my hand on my head and stick out my elbow and I grab my ankle with my other hand like this. (Note: She actually demonstrated in Walmart and nearly fell over, as did I due to laughter. The motion, for those of us less hip than 3rd graders, is to move your opposing elbow and knee together. Quite comical.) And we were doing it and I sort of tripped on a chair then I stubbed my toe on the chair and that HURT so I fell, and the chair fell over, and can you believe it fell over from a little TOE?" Etc., etc. I can imagine that scenario as I've seen it many times. Some of you may wonder "Who is Superchick and why would they give it as a gift to a 4rth grader?". Well, being in youth ministry the past couple of years has opened my eyes to yet another genre of Christian "rock" music. This band I like, and Tavin does to.....alot. They do some stuff with TobyMac, The Kutlass guy, and a few other people. (The KJ52 CD -which is more of a christian rap :)- is Kevin's favorite...he has it in his office most of the time.) ANYWAY....There's a song that I think every "tween" girl should hear called "Bowling Ball". Instead of reciting the lyrics, I'll tell you a couple of lines form the chorus: (Now don't go thinking that I am "anti men" or a feminazi for crying out loud....this is for a certain age group, and I do not fashion my husband in this way! Just clarifying.)

"You need that boy like a bowling ball dropped on your head, which means not at all.....You have too much to (etc.etc.....) waste your time on him....."

I'm sure Tavin will have no problem understanding why dating is really serious and is prep for marriage, because that's surely what we're going to instill in her. To the best of our ability, anyway. (As to why even though maybe some/all of her friends are "going out", she possibly won't be.) We decided that this year marks the beginning of "Birthday dinner out" where she gets to pick where to eat, just her and us, and Daddy treats her like a lady and all that stuff. (He'd better beef up!) So we said,"Pick any restaurant you want." She still wants the local chinese place, since there isn't a close Chucky Cheese. I guess we should appreciate the inexpensive taste while it lasts! On my next post, I'll have to say what she brought up when we had a spontaneous "mother-daughter" lunch.

Oh, and she won the bubble blowing contest there because she put 4 pieces in her mouth (the most of anybody) and didn't care that half of the bubble got in her hair because she won. :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger MacNana said...

Isn't it wonderful when your children have these talents that make you so proud? Being the best bubble gum blower is awesome! I can totally relate. Eric once took first place in blowing bubble gum bubbles out his nose in a high school assembly - and then he really won everyones respect when he popped the gum back in his mouth!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home