Thursday, January 12, 2006

What am I thinking?

I have accepted a new job as a "per-diem" nurse with the local home health/hospice of our area. This will still allow me to be a "sahm", as I will only be "on-call" 1 weekend a month (at the most) and 1 night a week. (But I will help out with a visit in an evening if they are busy, or with an occasional chart reviewing session.) It's probable that I will have to actually work the weekend, but this schedule is optimal for our family. The children will have a parent with them, I will be able to still provide nutrition for Lucy, and I will have a way to maintain my professional license, as I have to work a minimum of several hundred hours every 2 years for renewal. Anyhow, today was my first day in the office for orientation. I spent the better part of the morning poring over 2 HUGE Policy & Procedure manuals. I had to copy a portion of the job description for a HH/H nurse because it is so accurate, yet so intimidating....if you hadn't done this job before, you'd think "Who in their RIGHT mind would want to go to such places?". Sometimes we are in the criminal element, others just the quite "unclean", and often a dwelling wherein the terroristic dog is out to maim and destroy any living creature it sees. I call these animals "chihuahuas". For as many scary rotweillers and pitbulls I have seen, I have only actually been bitten by such lap rats. Sometimes I wonder, why can't just clean, law-abiding citizens with an untainted rap sheet and an appreciation for pleasant odors need skilled nursing care in their home? But, Jesus loves all people, therefore, so must I! Anyway, here is the quote of #2. under "job description":

"2. Working Conditions: Inside and outside environment is not always protected from the weather temperature changes. Inside environment including temperature variations, smoke, unclean homes, various sizes and types of pets and structural faults/barriers. Subject to frequent exposure to infection, contagious disease, and hazardous materials and equipment. Subject to combative patients, dysfunctional families and varying relationships. Variable noise levels. Also subject to rapid pace, multiple stimuli, unpredictable environment and critical situations. "

A mini-translation of what may possibly be experienced: Various weather onslaughts (rain, icy conditions, wind, mud.), houses that smell like an ash tray themselves, houses that feel like a sauna because the thermostat is set to "80" in August, dirt floors, pet squirrels that run up your leg during a sterile central-line dressing change, birds that fly to your shoulder at inopportune times, shoot-out-over-drug-money gunshot survivors (with rotweillers named "killer" that eat plywood), marriage proposals (and others), houses set up more with 30 in/out cats in mind than the single bed-bound person that lives there, etc. I love nursing! (I really do.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll stick with dealing with the German tourists, cranky, body odor, arrogant, and still thinking they won the war. At least I've never been bitten or gotten a sickness from contact, only a slight retching a few times after getting to close to one who was wearing the same cloths to long while eating garlic sausage. Your Canadian Uncle

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed you mentioned dirt floor twice! Working for Home Health and Hospice for many years and hearing the stories it surprised me you only listed it twice:)

That was the clean version!

-Kristine

8:34 PM  
Blogger SAHM said...

Thank you, Kristin, I have fixed the repetition. (It was accidental.) :)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally enjoyed the part about the plywood eating rotweilers. I thought it was a nice touch, really drove the point home. Although you could've said the kind of dogs that chase poor innocent children on their one speed banana seat bikes on their way home from school and all they have to defend themselves is the rapid speed at which they can peddle. Good thing we all have short legs so they can move faster. Thanks a lot Dad.
Aunt "J"

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I'm laughing harder at the plywood eating rotweilers or the thought of Jody on a banana seat bicycle- shortest legs in the world going as fast as they can.
-Brie

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home