Saturday, March 18, 2006

Telling of my age

Last week we joined one of the local gyms, with a "family membership". The main difference here compared to any other gym I have ever been part of is that with this one, they actually have REGULARLY scheduled child care morning and evenings during the week AND I don't pay extra for any of it! {Note: Just to explain, "family" was $9 more/month than "couple", with couple child care would have been $3/hour/child.} So, this is how this story begins...I wanted to start going to some aerobics classes, and since I am not obligated to work, have more time on my hands. Unfortunately, so do my kids since there is no school on Friday for either of the older 2. There was an aerobic aquatics class M-W-F at 9 am, just when the FREE child care started, so I excitedly loaded everyone up yesterday and got to the gym just in time. However, the sitter was a few minutes late so the class was already in session when I tried to sneak in. My first clue as to what type of class this was came when I noticed not towels against the wall, but CANES. The aerobic content of this class was mostly focused on getting all of the crimps out of our fingers...Seriously. Fine motor skills, likely designed for those with arthritic hands that have been impaired for a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG.....You get it......TIME. I was trying to think of how I could leave un-noticed, but figured I could just leave with any of the gals that were leaving 1 at a time apparently to use the bathroom. Well, that was a bust so I asked the gal at the front desk when a more appropriate class would be held, and had they considered indicating senior classes on their schedules? Anyhow, today I ended up at an 8:15 Intro to kick boxing which I really enjoy! I actually got to PUNCH things, had to wear the gloves and all....But I have somehow injured myself (boy am I a wimp) and broke vessels or something on the inside of my left wrist. The gal just said "Next time you'll have to wrap your wrists"....Apparently I am so STRONG that I hurt myself and didn't even know it. So I got to play at HITTING things (and it was a hard workout for someone as out of shape as I am) for an hour, swam in the pool to get some of the soreness out (ya right), hot tubbed, back to the pool, then watched some DODGEBALL of which Kevin and I decided we will now play on Saturdays there, since most players are kids of school age and their parents. Any connection there? I think SO. 6 hours later, I have such a gimp to my stride...I don't know what I have done to my right hip, but I hobble like, well, like one of the ladies in the aquatic class that I apparently should have stayed in! :) Maybe I can get enough physical endurance up to join the "regular" kickboxing classes they have 3 times a week. I just never realized how satisfying it is to glove up and hit something with intent. I'll bet I could think of motivators to, but I'd better wait until my bruised wrist is healed first.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger MacNana said...

So maybe the next time you go you'll need a cane too! That's too funny! Kickboxing sounds fun. Way to go. And those babysitters lives are about to get a lot more interesting!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home