Thursday, May 11, 2006

A New Perspective for Mother's Day

Last night Kevin had several back to back meetings that prevented him from being home for dinner (actually until 8:30). The rest of us were partaking of a Walmart version of frozen lasagna, which really wasn't all that bad. The conversation turned to upcoming Mother's Day, because Simon had brought home his project from preschool. Tavin made the comment:

"On Mother's Day you get to be the dad." Now I wondered what she meant and thought it may be humorous, and she did not disappoint.

"What do dad's do?" I asked her.

"Sit on the couch and watch T.V.". Surely she must be mistaken! I should've asked her what mom's do. I'm sure Kevin will, after he reads this.

My late afternoon/evening with the kids was anything but QUIET. I decided Tavin needed a "strong trim"...Say haircut to her and she's likely to immediately begin seizing, otherwise known as "coniption fit". Lucy was in the living room, standing up to things, causing destruction of any paper product she could find. Simon was outside dumping copious amounts of catfood onto the back patio (all for the magpies to eat), and Tavin was upstairs checking out the damage done to her luscious mane. I was sweeping up the hair on the kitchen floor, Lucy (who had been placed in the play pen) was LOUDLY expressing her desire to be free, when I called Simon in to remind him NOT to feed the cat. He ran around the house and was effectively stopped and grounded by cement steps. (Luckily for him it was only a flesh wound in his big toe, as he was running with his shovel!) Tavin has began crying loudly upstairs, a true maiden in distress, Lucy is still yelling, and now Simon arrives dragging a bleeding toe wherever he sees carpet or any other stainable surface. This was about the time I contemplated running out of the house screaming myself.

Things did calm down, after about 15 minutes. Later Tavin sheepishly said "Actually I like my haircut." (I had layered it, making it seem like I'd cut a lot off, but she could still get it all in a ponytail. The true test.) So, I did what any smart mother does when she doesn't want to keep monitoring, chasing, cleaning, whatever. I took us all for a DRIVE. We went to an area off of the river, that was designated Wildlife Observatory (quite loosely in my opinion) where I found a killdeer nest and was able to show them the eggs and what the parental bird does to detract would-be predators from the nest site. It was fun. Of course, I also made it quieter by getting ice cream at Dairy Queen. :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Iced Tea Forever said...

Oh, the joys of raising children. Some day maybe I'll have something funny to write about my own kids! (Not right now of course!) Love ya, Jewel

8:59 AM  
Blogger MacNana said...

Oh, the good old days are gone forever around here. How funny it is now. Enjoy the mayhem while it lasts, and rejoice when it's over.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home